Volume 15, Issue 57 (4-2006)                   jour guilan uni med sci 2006, 15(57): 28-32 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Hashemi E, Montazeri A, Akbari E, Najafi M, Haghighat S, Kaviani A. Role of Tumor Markers in Breast Cancer Recurrence. jour guilan uni med sci. 2006; 15 (57) :28-32
URL: http://journal.gums.ac.ir/article-1-477-en.html
Abstract:   (9705 Views)
Abstract Introduction: The value of clinical use of tumor markers for prediction of breast cancer recurrence in follow-up or level of response to treatment is still controversial. Objective: In this study, the role of tumor markers in breast cancer recurrence was evaluated. Materials and Methods: One hundred and forty-one breast cancer patients were entered into the study and followed up for 132 months (mean= 34.0، SD= 28.0). The mean age of the patients at time of diagnosis was 47.1 (SD= 12.3) ranging from 23 to 81 years. Most patients (51%) were presented with stage II breast cancer. 81% of the patients underwent modified radical mastectomy and the remaining 19% had breast preservation surgery. The association between clinical recurrence with age, tumor size, nodal involvement, stage, type of surgery and pathology, CA15.3, CEA, P53, ER, PR, and HRE-2 status were examined by using the forward conditional logistic regression analysis. Results: Recurrence occurred in 22% of patients during the follow up time. The results indicated that recurrence was significantly predicted by the status of CA15.3 (odds ratio= 6.1، 95% CI= 1.62-23.1, P= 0.007). Conclusion: The findings showed that independent of age and other known prognostic factors CA 15.3 is an individual factor for prediction of recurrence in breast cancer patients.
Full-Text [PDF 132 kb]   (2033 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: Special
Received: 2014/01/18 | Accepted: 2014/01/18 | Published: 2014/01/18

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:

Send email to the article author

© 2020 All Rights Reserved | Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb